Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Ironman Eve

It's the day before my first Ironman and I am overloaded with excitement and nerves,

Stephen and I were set to take our mopeds to T1 for a practice swim, it was finally it open and safe for us to experience the water. 

So, here we go, right... well... sorta. :-)

I woke up that morning and had breakfast and of course it was good, after all, I trekked my cereal and almond milk all the way from Los Angeles.  Anyway, hee hee, I hopped on my moped and met Stephen at his hotel.  When I arrived, he was slightly frustrated as his moped was basically doing what mine was doing the day before.  Turning on and stopping for no reason. We figured it may need gas, despite the fact that the gage said it had half a tank.  As we made our way to the gas station, Stephen's moped completely died. It was awful.  So I went a head to get gas for mine and bring some back for him.  After trying to navigate the city, I finally found a gas station.  I filled her up and then filled up a water bottle of gas for Stephen.  When I get back to where he was suppose to be, he was gone?  Was I really that lost, I thought to myself? Nah... so I head back to the gas station and see Stephen is there.  (He was able to get his running.) As I make the U-turn from across the street, my moped goes bonkers.  I try to slow down and break but the damn think won't work and the moped takes off. I go crashing into the other end of the gas station parking lot and flip completely over the handles and land flat on my bike.  They moped stops.  I am in shock and as I look up to see a few very nice Mexican gentlemen try to help me up and Stephen. It was so scary. With that, Stephen and I decide to take these death traps right back to the store and take a taxi to swim practice.  Holy Sh#t, I really thought I was done. My dreams to become an Ironman were over because of a faulty moped! SCARY!!!

The picture below does not give the massive bruise on my knee and leg justice. 

 
After we drop the mopeds off, we immediately jump in a taxi and haul it over to the swim start where we quickly change and learn that they are closing the swim in 20min!  WHAT!?!?   With that, we jump in the water.  My goggles immediately start to leak, like they were doing in the pool.  But I fixed them, so I thought. After all, the water was so clear I wanted to see it all! 
  
As we are swimming and splashing around, I notice on the bottom of the ocean the most amazing thing I have ever seen in my life "Never, Never, Never Give Up." I mean seriously, how cool is that?  How can you NOT get pumped after seeing that and it is at the bottom of the ocean!! That is how clear it was.  Unreal!!  Reality was definitely check in.
 

This is really happening we say to each other. Tomorrow we will become each become an Ironman! As that settles in, we wrap up the swim and head back into town.  We still have quite the day ahead of us.  We still had to drop our bikes and special needs off at T1 and our run and special needs at T2 and I had to get back to meet Dad, Marc & Christy, my IronCheerers.

So the taxi drops off Stephen and then me.  I head up to my room to pack and repack and repack again each bag.  I have to tell you, it is really quite funny. I only took this one pic.  Why I did not take a pic of my bike, bike special needs, and run, I do not know.  The below pic is my run special needs.  I have everything and anything you can imagine. Extra sneakers, socks, visor, sunblock, Vaseline, snacks, medicine, garbage bag, glow stick, the list goes on and on.  And I was never a girl scout! LOL... but you damn well better believe I was prepared!


After multiple efforts, I take a break and head down to the lobby. Marc, Dad & Christy should be arriving anytime and so should Stephen to take the shuttle from my hotel to T1 for the bike drop off.

Sure enough, there they are.  The IronCheerers have arrived! I am so excited they are here. It means soooo much to me.  We get them settled in and head upstairs.  Marc and Christy of course are laughing at me because of all my supplies.  I finalize my last bag and realize that I have not attached the power of the unicorn to my bike! Meredith from my TNT team is a true sweetheart and supporter.  She is the unicorn and happy thoughts and support from here and the TNT team beam through this unicorn and I am so happy it is with me. Thankfully, Marc was able to help me out and secure it to my bike. With that, O am now all set and can head to T1 to drop of my bike.  --- and Yes... I am starting to freak out a little in pure excitement.  

 

The shuttle bus arrives and it is just that a bus.  No racks for our bikes or spaces to put our bags.  Everyone and everything is going ON the bus. So one by one, we pile in.  I share the two seats with all my bags and flip my bike long-ways on its rear wheel... we all do.  Marc and Christy squeeze into a row and Dad takes the back row with a few athletes. I can tell that this is definitely not dad's idea of a good time, LOL.  It is extremely hot, humid and crowded. But he is a trooper and had a smile on his face the whole time, taking it all in.

When we get to T1 - my heart is beating.  This is really happening.  Now I know I have said this many, many times, that I am sure you all are like, "we get it, its a big deal" ... but I will continue to say it because holy crap, I am about to race in an IRONMAN competition!??  WHAT! Seriously, who decides that since they are over worked that taking on an Ironman is the thing to do!?!?    LOL.  Crazy pants. -- anyway... back to it.  Marc, Dad and Christy have to wait on the street as only athletes are allowed in.  So Stephen and I head in and drop our stuff, make our final adjustments, kiss our bikes goodbye and head back to the shuttle to drop off our run stuff. THIS IS AWESOME.










 
 
One down, one to go.  We hop on the shuttle and make our way to the back of the bus and settle in for the ride to T2.  We end up sitting to this cool guy, Neil.  He an Indian British dude and very chill.  This is his first Ironman as well.  We are both super excited.  He was talking that he would be finishing in the 14hr-15hr window.  I told him that I was hoping for 15, but I think the reality would be 16.  But as long as I finish, I was going to be happy.  He agreed.  Of course the IronCheerers joked and said they hoped for the earlier time!  :-)
 
 
Once we got to T2, we filed off the bus and headed to drop our gear.  Marc, Dad & Christy headed to the most Mexican restaurant they could find for something to eat, so of course they settled on Margaritaville.  Neil, Stephen and I dropped our stuff.  This was way quicker and easier than the bike drop off.
 




 After we drop everything off, we say goodbye to Neil and walk across the street to meet Dad, Marc & Christy.  Poor things are so hungry.  We get some snacks and a few drinks.  I enjoy a lovely bottle of water, while my they enjoy tasty adult beverages.  I am so jealous. :-) But after a short while, we head back to the hotel and to change and chill before dinner and then bedtime! 
 
 
 
Dinner was set for 6:30 at a local Italian place - Guido's.  I knew I was going to want some chicken and some carbohydrates!  Of course, I pop in to check in on dad and shockingly, he is ready to go and also shockingly, he has a ridiculous room!! Living room and all. It is nuts. My room has two beds, but it is nothing compared to dad's.  Marc & Christy's though is worse than mine.  They are on the street side in what seems like the back of the hotel, LOL.  And the only reason I know this is because we are waiting for them for dinner, calling, etc.. so we go up to check on them and the sillies took a nap!  It is pitch black in their room.  It was quite funny to watch them resurface.
 
Anyway.... they pull it together and we head into town.  Guido's is amazing!! We get some flat chibatta bread that is to die for and a few pasta dishes.  Dad ops for the fish, which, why wouldn't you??! Cozumel is known for its diving and seafood.  Everything was so amazing and yummy.  It was PERFECT!
 
After dinner, we say goodnight and good luck to Stephen.  I am not sure I will see him in the morning.  The four of us head back to the hotel.  I am not quite ready to go to bed yet and of course neither are they.  After all it is only about 8:30 or so. So Dad makes a quick call to Susanne and Marc & Christy get a drink and I run upstairs to get my tattoos -- after all I still need to get body marked.  And of course, since this was my first Ironman, I am going to at least look the part! :-). After Christy braids my hair, perfectly, I might add, I "smartly" ask her to put on my tattoos. It didn't go so well.  5-3-7. Not too hard - right? -- Well...................  My left arm, Christy nailed the 5, then took a 2 times to do the 3 as she did put it on backwards, before finishing up with the 7. LOL.. So after a few tries, my left arm looks amazing.  Which is at least the good arm to show as that is the street side.  My right arm, however, not so much.  The 5 & 7 are the perfect tattoo while the 3 had to be added on with permanent marker since we ran out of 3s. Too funny!  I wish I took a picture. I really don't know why I don't have one. -- apologies!
 
So with that and a few laughs, I have to go to bed.  I will be up at 3:00 / 3:30 to eat change and get mentally prepped.  The shuttle leaves starting at 4:00... I try to convince the IronCheerer's to do the same, but they are not quite ready to call it.  Which I know will make for a slightly harder wake up for them, but I know that they will be fine.
 
Night Night!! Oh boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment