Friday, May 22, 2015

RACE DAY -- THE BIKE

Transitions during an Ironman are extremely different than a regular triathlon.  First off, this race is a well oiled machine.  After running out of the water and running through a shower to rinse off, I grab my Bike transition bag. (I know exactly where it is because Stephen and I practiced running out of the water to our spots. :-))  I make my way to the tent to change and I swear to you it is like a 5 star hotel.  There are tons of people in there waiting on you hand and foot, literally. Before I can even open my bag, there is one girl there to help me get out of my skin suit while another is spraying me down with sunblock. I get my bag open and as I am putting on my socks another girl starts putting my shoes on me.  It is amazing!! I kinda wanted to stick around there, maybe get a massage or a margarita. :-) But I decide, I should probably handle this race. I make sure all my food is still stuffed in my pockets, grab my sunnies and off I go!!  I know exactly where my bike is and where Marc, Dad and Christy were going to meet me and sure enough, they are there! I swing by and say a quick hello and run down the shoot with my bike.  112miles.  Here We Go!

At the start of the bike, I am a little tired, but sooooo excited, I cannot even tell you.  I hit my watch again to make sure I am now transitioned from the swim to bike and start pedaling. I grab my first PB&J and I have to tell you, it was delicious!  This part of the loop is slightly windy.  Not too crazy.  I started off goings about 17mph then dropped to about 14mph... it is a steady headwind. I am in a solid groove and literally loving every minute of it.  By now some of the pros are whizzing past me on their second bike loop, heck maybe even their last. I am so impressed by them. As this is happening a guy in is mid-40s, I think, in a Spiderman Tri kit, looks over to me while passing me and says: "I don't know about you, but I am all about the pace." -- I agreed 100% with him.  And then it happened... or lordy it happened. 

Throughout the entire city and there were these "No Drafting" signs posted everywhere, so once Spiderman said he is all about the pace... Megan Trainor and All About That Base got in my head.  Soooo for the next 8+ hours, I was singing: "I'm all about the pace about the pace, No Drafting." Over and over and over... of course I tried forever to get another verse in my head, but none would come. As annoying as it was, it was actually very motivating and I would laugh to myself.  It was great. So thank you Spiderman and Megan Trainor!

 
So, as me, myself and Megan Trainor cruised around the island we got to take it all in.  The first part of the loop wasn't too bad, like I mentioned before, the headwinds weren't too bad, but they still were a little tough, so I when I reached the beach, I knew exactly what I was going to be in for it.  Stephen and I experienced the wind on our mopeds and it was rough.  So on a bicycle, it was going to be an extremely different world and it was.  But I was ready for it.  We clocked it and it was exactly 12 miles worth of severe head and side winds on the back of the island. So, once I reached the beach, I knew.  This was it. 12miles of hell (x3) I can do this.  I practiced for this. I got this. But holy Sh*t, it was hard! I look at my watch so I can do the math as I went to see how much further I had to go and then dug deep and pedaled.  I pedaled my little heart out and unfortunately, as much as I pedaled, I was only going between 9Mph-12Mph. It sucked, but I did have this view, so could I REALLY complain??!?!?! 
 


 
 

 
Despite the wind on the back of the island, there were the most amazing cheer quad sprinkled throughout.  They had on neon green tutus and posters and the best attitude.  It was fantastic.  There was one sign - "SIZE MATTERS" in huge writing, then below it was "SWITCH TO YOUR SMALL CHAIN RING!" it was hysterical. Just when you were super tired and OVER the wind, one of them would appear and knock you back into race reality.  They were perfect and just what I needed.  So thank you random cheerers.
 
Finishing the 12 windy miles is a feat upon itself, so when it's over and you make the left towards town, your adrenaline is pumping because you know you just finished the hardest part, so you start flying and you are excited because there is no wind.  Its not like you have wind on your back, you just don't have any wind against you, so with this, I was able to get comfy in aero and just fly.  I think I was averaging 20-25mph.  It felt so great to actually pedal and go! LOL.  I know that sounds silly, but the fist 25 miles, give or take, I kinda felt like I was pedaling on a treadmill.  The miles were adding up, I knew I was doing the distance, but also felt I wasn't going anywhere.    
 
This part of the island was pretty quiet.  There were a few families throughout the route cheering with cowbells. It was awesome to see.  But I mostly used this section to make up time from the windy parts and of course eat!  I am doing 250 Calories per hour.  So I am eating PB&J, Peanut butter pretzels, FiberOne Fruit bars.  I am literally having a picnic on my bike and loving every bit of it. As I continue to pedal away, I look up and see the best sign.   How can you NOT start pedaling just a little bit faster after seeing that?
 
 

Now, I know I said the back of the island was a little lite with cheering, well, I have to tell you, the remaining 20mi makes up for it.  As you enter into town, it is bananas crazy with cheering.  Bands, families having BBQs, cowbells, horns and kids chanting "Si Se Puede" -- "YES YOU CAN!" over and over and over.  It is amazing that literally I teared up every time. It made me feel like this race was a for a purpose, for them.  I felt so honored to ride through their city and to get their support was beyond words.  I am trying to explain it, terribly, but I have to tell you. Honestly, from the depths of my soul.  The entire city of Cozumel is 10000% behind each and every competitor. It is an amazing feeling to know that they are all supporting us and cheering us on. Unimaginable bliss.... and super cool! So with the fans cheering me and the others on, I wiz through the city having the best time.  I make another few turns and I am back on the main drag about 5 miles before the loops starts all over again and that is when I see Dad, Marc and Christy.  Camera ready, signs flopping through the air, GO RACHEL! GO RACHEL!  WOW!  Its Amazing. They are amazing. I teared up then as I tear up now thinking about it.  Awesome Iron Cheerers ... and then I am gone again.  Round 2... Round 3...
 
 
 
 
I thought Round 2 and Round 3 would little easier than round  one, since I knew EXACLTY what to expect... for the most part.  The only hiccup so to speak is as the day went on, the winds increased, so the loops were harder and harder each time.  Word on the street - this Ironman was the windiest it had been in 4 years.... Lucky me! So it was tough, but manageable.
 
As I am biking away singing "All about the Pace...." enjoying my picnic, I had amazing conversations with myself. Hysterical, one may think, but when you are alone in your thoughts for 7 to 8 hours, you must keep yourself entertained. I was talked to my mom alot, started making my holiday plans, writing a book and a TV show - all in my head.  Some of it I remember, some if I don't.  But whatever I was saying to myself at the time, it was a truthful, soulful conversation, if that makes any sense.  It was actually quite insightful.  The only tough part was I kept interrupting myself! :-) 
 
When I wasn't talking to myself, I started drumming up conversations with the others bikers.  Some are happy to talk and others would rather see me choke and die on my PB&J than talk to me.  It was pretty funny actually.  On each of our bib numbers it has our name and the country we are from. So me, the natural "Go Team" gal, I am cheering everyone on. LOL. Stephen actually passed me on the back half of the island and I shout "GO STEPHEN! YEAH!" and literally 3 different riders turned to look at me.  So I looked at their name or number and shouted "GO TOM! GO MARCEL! GO 1122!!  YOU GOT THIS!" Again some appreciated it, some just ignored me.  My favorite were the ones that talked back, whether they were pleasant or not, at least they engaged.  KELLY from the USA, it was her first IM, too.  I was faster than her on the bike but then she caught up to me on the run.  As I passed her in the 2nd loop. I said "Hey Kelly, from the USA!  How ya doing? -- She goes "I'm F-ing Dying -YOU?"  I Agreed and laughed, but said "we are dying, but isn't it great?!?! We are doing an Ironman."  She rolled her eyes at me.  But agreed. When I saw her on the run, I said "HEEEEY! Kelly from the USA, she laughed in a not so welcoming laugh, because I know she knew it was me.  She said HI.. and I acknowledge that she was crushing the run. And to keep it up. She actually was a little more pleasant for this time and said "thanks, you too!" Others on the ride were way more receptive. This one lady had done IM Cozumel a few times. She was a diver and loved coming to do both the race and dive.  A few others were first timers as well and they were just as excited as me.  Another dude was on his 15th Ironman! So crazy. So inspiring.  It was awesome.  Of the entire bike portion of the race, I did have one major highlight and one super scary moment. The highlight for me was "CHICKING" 'Spiderman' in the middle of the third loop - and telling him about my "All About the Pace" song that he inspired.  He actually loved it. (I wonder if was stuck in his head as it was in mine.)  :-) The one scary part was seeing one of the pros, I think, laid out on the ground after you come around after the windy part to the fast part after the 2nd loop. He looked like a legit rider, he had one of those space helmets and the uni-tard tri kits.  I mean serious. But he wasn't moving at all.  It was scary. I said a prayer for him as I continued on.  I still don't know what happened to him.  I hope to God he is OK.
 




 
 
As I finished my 3rd loop, I looked at my watch. I wasn't too far off on my finishing goal.  I thought I would be finished in 7:30.  That was my goal, but with the crazy wind, it tacked on another 45min.  So it was a total of 8:15, give or take, not ideal, but my worse day of training was 8:45 and that still had me finishing the IM... so I was happy with this time, still well within my window to complete this Ironman.  Finishing the last loop, I had no idea where Marc, Dad & Christy would be.  Seeing them twice on the bike was awesome. But sure enough, the Iron Cheerers did not disappoint.  As I dismounted my bike and ran into T2 to change for the run, they are right there!! Every time I needed to see their smiling faces, they appeared.  It was awesome . I don't know how they did it, but they were right there, lining the shoot.  It was awesome.  Seeing them made the final steps of the bike perfect. 
 
Holy Crap! Two Legs down, One to go until I am an Ironman! 
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment