Tuesday, May 26, 2015

RACHEL GRIFFIN - YOU ARE AN IRONMAN

Holy Sh*t, this is it.  The crowd is getting louder I am in mile 26. I only have the .2 to go.  The shoot is lined with people and of course straight ahead before it bends to the left is Dad, Marc, Christy and Stephen.  I am tearing up, I am jumping up and down and I am running into that shoot what feels like 100mph, to the point where I start running in place so I am not on top of the lady in front of me. (After all, I want her to have her moment, too)... Then I hear the most amazing words of my life.



 
RACHEL GRIFFIN - RACHEL - YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!
THAT'S RIGHT, GIVE IT UP FOR PARTY RACHEL!!

16:16:46 
 
 
 

 
I don't really quite remember what happened next.  It was all kind of a blur.  I remember getting my medal and inhaling a few slices of pizza behind the finish line.  There were pools filled with water for what I would assume were ice baths, but since I was so late, the water was warm and as inviting as it was, not what I needed.  I made my way through the maze that was in the back I grab my finisher shirt and see Neil grabbing his shirt, too! I see blood on his chin and ask if he is OK.  He says he is fine. We hug and congratulate each other.  It was very emotional. (I later learn from Marc and Christy that Neil ditched the girl in the shoot and took off like a bat out of hell running Mach 2 and when he reached the finish line he tripped and feel flat on his face.-- I felt bad for him, we were in hour 16, was running that crazy going to make any difference? :-) plus his finisher photos were going to be of him on the floor.) --  I say, "well, I totally understand why he would run fast, after all, I did too. I was running so fast, I had to run in place." And Marc gracefully told me, that although I thought I was running super fast, it was really more like a jog. LOL.  Where as Neil really hauled it! To funny. I literally thought I was running a 5min mile in the finisher shoot. :-)

I finally make my way out looking Dad, Marc, Christy and Stephen, when there they are. Stephen is already showered and changed since he finished about 2-3 hours ago. :-) I am so psyched for him. We give hugs all around and congrats and catching up when Stephen informs me of the finisher photo area where I just came from.  I think I was so out of it and just wanting to see them, that I didn't see it.  So we go back in and get a few pics.  It was great.  We make our way back outside and they are waiting for me with Tina's champagne and all! It is awesome. 



 

I take a few minor swigs of the champagne when BOOM, I get completely light headed and nauseous. I sit for a minute then think it is best that I go back to the med tent. After all, this is my first Ironman, I have no idea what could happen.  I almost throw up, but don't and the docs inside give me a nauseous pill.  I decided to lay on the ground to get myself to calm down. Stephen was awesome, making sure I was OK and keeping Dad, Marc and Christy in the loop.  After about 15min I am fine. I wrap myself up in one of those tin foil blankets and we are all set.  I think it was a combination of not eating real food on the run and then inhaling pizza and champagne plus all the adrenaline. Probably not the smartest move, but so delicious! 
 
And with that, we hear the last Ironman finisher cross the line and that's it. It completely shuts down.  It was kind of weird. So we walked over to pick up my bike and drop it back to TriBike and head back to the hotel.
 
The night is over and I am officially an IRONMAN... or as I personally like to say, an IRONWOMAN!
 
Thank you to everyone for your support along the way.  I truly could not have done it with out you.  Now... on to Ironman Boulder - August 2 - and yes, I have recruited my Iron Cheerer Brother, Marc, to race with me! 
 
THANK YOU!!!  LOTS OF LOVE!
 
Rachel, the IronWoman.

No comments:

Post a Comment