Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Silver Lining...

As we entered into our 17th week of training, I was actually super excited and nervous and mentally cocky.  My training had been going well, I have improved on all areas, not significantly, but enough where I noticed.

So when we prepped for a massive build week, I was ready.  Tuesday swim was great.  I think we swam 2500 yards or so and I was in the groove.  On Wednesday, Dani and I handle the Amalfi ride.  We had to bike up as fast and as far as we could for 10min and then bike back down and do that 4 times... it was tough, but we bared down and handled it.  and then on Thursday, we had a track workout.  Now, my asthma gave me a little problem, only because we had to do 30second all-out sprints, rest for 30 and repeat for 4min with a 4min jog in between 3 times...  its only about 45min total, but wow.. if you are not breathing right, it will get cha. .. and finally friday, we had a beautiful open water swim. the weather was amazing and the water was actually nice. we managed to squeeze in 1.3 miles in the hour and I loved every minute of it.

 Dani & I after Amalfi

 Santa Monica College Track



Tower 26 - Good Morning.

So, after that awesome week, I was beyond ready for what we had in store for the weekend, or so I thought.  On Saturday, we were set to bike 60 miles in 4hr and then a 30min run up in Westlake Village. I was ready. I honestly thought I would get closer to 70 miles in the 4hrs but reality set in and I completed the 60mi in 4:30min.  UGH.  What was that about?!?!

I know I was a little distracted given that it was the 6th anniversary of when my mom passed away, but I was channeling that into good vibes and supportive internal chats.  I honestly don't know what happened.  I know i ate enough food before and during the ride, yet i was starving the entire time.  I felt slightly dehydrated, yet I drank 3 bottles of endurance drinks and two bottles of water... my utility kits kept flying off my bike ... it was crazy.. luckily I didn't have a flat tire or anything, but everything just felt off.  Then of course we had to run after and my legs were like screw you.  i manage 2miles with a run walk combo in that 30min.  As I sat in my ice bath that night, I felt completely defeated. :-(

Mom & I 

 Bike Elevation and Map


Bike Route Through Westlake & Thousand Oaks






 Beautiful Westlake in Westlake Village





Ice Bath... Clearly.

On Sunday, I was determined not to let Saturday's defeat ruin my entire training weekend. I slept well and was up early in anticipation of our Open Water Swim and 10mi run.  Unfortunately, the wind and the current were too strong that the coaches opted for us to NOT swim.  After looking at the water, I was actually relieved,... but that meant the run was going to be my saving grace.  So I laced up and chomped on a few endurance jelly beans and mentally prepped for the run.  With my new intervals in place 8:1 at a faster pace, I headed out. I ran and I ran and I ran... and I had fun!   WHAT?!?!  Yes.. I had fun.  Running up San Vicente, that I hate, I actually enjoyed.  I glanced at my watch from time to time and I was sticking to that 10:30/10:40 pace up San V!  I am usually at 12+ on that run... and on the return, at times I was 8min!  I couldn't believe it.  This new interval was working.  When I finished the run and looked at the final time, I was astounded.. 1:47 for 10mi!! I shaved 7min off my time! WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Coach Javier & Coach Riz are awesome... they saw how I progressed and modified my program to really benefit me.  I am so excited..... and I know that in time, I think I will have a 10min pace. WOW.

Talk about silver lining to a cloudy weekend. :-)


We ended the weekend with a swim marker set.... I did pretty well. I am still under a 2min/100yd pace, which is great.  I managed to do 1675yrd in 32:10 and 2150yrs in 41:01 at roughly a 1:54/100yd pace.  I am pretty happy about that. :-)

And now we are kicking off Week 18... in the words from Coach Riz.... So What does 18 weeks mean? 18 weeks means you have gone from running 30 minutes to 10 miles, it means you have gone from riding your bike for 60 minutes to riding 60 MILES!  It means you have gone from drills, drills and more drills to swimming upwards of 7000 yards each week, and that is just your pool swims. 18 weeks also means we have 8 more weeks until Vineman 70.3.  It means we have a ride to San Diego, Vineman Training Weekend, a mile swim in the ocean, a couple of half marathons to run and 8 more weeks of team bonding and training.

In the words of Rachel Griffin, I say BRING IT ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment