Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Training and Traveling... AGAIN

I think this has seriously become the mantra to my training.  For being in my "slow season" I am traveling more than ever.

The good thing, every time I hit the road has been a recovery week, so I am not missing too much and have been able to get in the workouts to some degree.

This recovery week was a little different as I was in NYC for work and then in Annapolis for my nephew's 1st Communion.

To start off, left on Tuesday, so I missed the swim. :-(  But I did arrive in NYC just in time to see my amazing and talented cousin Tom McGowan in the TONY Nominated play Casa Valentina with my family. It was so good.  If you are in the NYC area, go see it it.



Wednesday was NASTY out.  COLD and Raining. It was torrential, ugly downpour.  Ugh, not what I was used and not what I want either.  It made setting up for the TTPM event super hard and annoying.

Thank goodness for UBER! I was able to get all my samples to the event rather unscaved and the event overall was a success!  our Paw Patrol line was picked to the Hot List and the press and bloggers loved our summer toys which include, Paw Patrol, Wackytivities and How To Train Your Dragon 2.  And I do love this event as I get to see my industry buddies!!

TTPM

How to Train Your Dragon 2

 
Wackytivities: Spattter, Goozerk, Kinetic Sand & Chill Factor

Paw Patrol

 Meredith Sinclair

Harold Chizick

Given the rain on Wednesday... I was not motivated at all... but I did plug my earphones in and watched Survivor of all things and knocked out my 1hr bike ride  -- a little difficult to do intervals on a stationary, but I did my best and the run the following morning. 

I am so thankful hotels have gyms. -- Obviously not as amazing as outside, but it is sooo amazing that I don't have to go outside in the cold and rain to train! :-)



Friday i was able to get in my homework swim at Equinox, that gym in the West Village is AMAZING!! my jaw almost dropped when I walked through the door.  The pool was relatively nice, with only 3 lanes. I should have gotten there earlier, like I had planned, but whatever. :-)  so needless to say, it was crowded.  The good thing is they only allow 3 to a lane and but the bad news is it was full except the slow lane and i am a relatively fast swimmer, so my intervals we not quick as I had hoped.  But what can you do?

Friday afternoon, my brother and new sister-in-law headed to Annapolis for my nephew/godson's first communion.  It was such a nice weekend.  Despite the traffic getting down there, the weekend was gorgeous!  Don (my brother-in-law)'s dad brought a PIG up from North Carolina and we had a proper pig roast on Saturday afternoon after the ceremony.  It was delicious.

Before the ceremony, I headed out for my Brick.  Training peaks had us doing 35 miles on the bike and a 30min run.  Given I had an interesting ride, I only managed to get in 30 miles on the bike and a 15 min run, in order to get ready in time for the ceremony.

additionally, the bike I was on was  3 speed.  The gears only changed when they felt like it and constantly got stuck in between gears when they did attempt to change.  Also, the seat.  The seat kept sliding down to the tires, LOL.  I would start all tall and proud and 2mi later you would have thought I was 12... it was rather hysterical to stop every 2 miles to pull the seat back up or to fix the chain after it fell off.  BUT, it was a fun and comical ride... and I gave myself an intimate tour of annapolis... and along the way I saw all these street signs of my friends.  it was kind of nice, I felt as if they were there with me.

 Sunrise in downtown Annapolis
 Sunrise in downtown Annapolis
 These two were taken on Naval Academy Bridge






THE BIKE

The Fam... although its not everyone... 

 My brother Billy, my Dad and my Dad's girlfriend, Susanne

My sister-in-law Amy and my sister Jenny

Sunday was a tiny bit of a struggle to wake up, after all it was a celebration on Saturday! :-)  But that being said, I still got up and out and handled my run and even managed to rope my sister into coming with me, although she in turn roped the dog, Roxy in as well... so it was a family affair. We handled it.  Jenny through in a few hills, which I appreciated, beautiful views and my favorite, neighborhood gems including a trainset built year round in a yard and bears! Literally this one house had over 20 wooden bears carved out all over their yard.  It's pretty neat.




All in all, not too shabby of a recovery, travel week.  Tonight we kick off another build week.  I am excited to see what the coaches have in store for us.  

Now ... off to the pool!

Don't forget to donate. :-) http://pages.teamintraining.org/los/VineHIrn14/RachelHGriffin




No comments:

Post a Comment