Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Week 18...

Week 18 is starting off pretty good....

On Tuesday we had our swim session and thankfully, it wasn't too crowded, so Laura and I were able to split the lane. I like swimming with her.  She is slightly faster than me, so it pushes me to do better to keep up with her but she is also such a sweetheart of a person that she motivates me along the way.  Its inspiring.

This morning Dani, Coach Riz and I headed out on our bike marker.  We had to bike for 80mins with a 10min run after.  I think I did pretty decent as I was able to squeeze in just shy of 18 miles - An Amalfi Loop, Golf course loop and a few out an backs up San V... I am sure I could have pushed myself a little more this morning, but I was sooooo tired.  I had the worst night sleep the night before.  I had the AC on, but it was still hot in my room so I kept waking up and then I was sleeping funny on my arms, so they were sore this morning.  I was all out of whack, but it was good.


Thursday was our run session.  Ok.. that was rough.  I dont know why, but I had zero energy.  I definitely need to look into my nutrition. Anyway, that night everyone was doing the Glo Run in support of Coach Brad's Birthday, but I couldn't make it, so I went in the morning and of course, since I was dragging, I arrived 3 min late and Eryn & Stan were already out conquering that Amalfi Loop. They did an awesome job.. me on the other hand, I was pushing myself to stick to the 8:1... which i did, but my pace was more in 11/12min range than the 10:30 i was trying to keep.  Needless to say, I finished the 6 miles, in 1:10min and did my strength and conditioning after.  I love doing those, but I have to be honest, I need to do them more. :-)

Friday... ahhhhhh.. friday.. Open Water Swim.  I LOVE THE OCEAN. And I kid you not, this past friday the ocean was so glassy, it was like swimming in a lake.  It was amazing. We managed to get in 3 non-buoy buoy loops which was about .9mi... I desperately wanted to do one more, but everyone had to get back for work. BOO. :-)  but it was beautiful.


After the swim... i had a busy day ahead... my company was volunteering for Play Your Part.. put on by the Toy Industry Foundation. Throughout the day, we unloaded and filled over 6,000 amazing packages with toys and personal notes of encouragement which benefited foster children across Southern California through the TIF's national partner, Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA for Children) ... it was really quite a nice event.  Its only its 2nd year, but they are coming along.  Its great.


From there I flew up to San Francisco / San Mateo for Maker Faire.  Now, I have never even heard of this let alone been to it, but I have to tell you, it was pretty neat and i think my brother Billy would call it "heaven."  Now, we were there to reintroduce Meccano/Erector to the builder community and it was a hit.  Fans of all ages loved it and were happy to see it again.  For me, I was just really intrigued. Literally they had the "Game of Drones," where people battled in arena's with their helicopters or there was a guy that paid to have a booth there and he was "The Worlds Best Paper Airplane Builder."  it was crazy and hysterical! I was so impress and surprised by that guy, I really couldn't get enough of him. Overall... it was a pretty cool experience.  Glad I went, but I can also tell you I won't be going back anytime soon. :-)






So.. since I was up at Maker Faire, I missed the 2nd 60 mi bike ride.  I am totally bummed about it as i wanted to redeem myself from last week, but I didn't want to miss the 11-12mi run on Sunday as that is where I need the most improvements... so, I got up on Sunday and handled that run like a champ!  Of course, I was an idiot and went to the wrong meeting spot and when i realized it, everyone was just about to take off, so I had to catch up, which I did.  I ended up running with Ashley, Marcia, & Christal and it was fun. Marcia was our portable DJ singing to us along the way and Christal entertained us with stories of being a mom.  it was great... and in doing so, I convinced them all to join me on my 8:1 intervals... YAY and thank goodness for them as we had to run up Inspiration point TWICE!   it was gnarly but good... on the way down the second time, we bumped into poor Kelie who had fallen because she was running so fast down the hill.  Poor thing.

As we made our way back to the picnic benches i noticed i was running with Marcia at an 8:30 pace for quite some time, which of course, psyched myself out a little.. but i know i can get there... overall, it was about 12 mi in 2:10.. NOT TOO SHABBY!

after the run a few of us did an ice bath swim.. it was so cold and nice... of course we had our wetsuits on, so it was really nice... but let me tell you, the waves were rough and the current was strong... but it was still so pleasant to be out there.

Week 18 was amazing... i can't wait for Week 19. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment